Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a 3 year old daughter that had an eeg done. The

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 3 year old daughter that had an eeg done. The whole time she was sleepy and sitting by herself with her head down watching a video on my phone which was on her lap and she wasnt leaning on the chair, just sitting up. 15minutes into the eeg test, she started to get really drowsy so she was nodding off (leaning forward then backward and twitching everytime she catches herself slowly nodding off). That is when the results showed discharges of polyspike and electrode decremental. Isn't that normal for sleep deprived kids to be nodding off when the lights are dim and theyre watching a lullaby video while sitting up? They are now diagnosing her as having generalized myoclonic or generalized seizure disorder. She hasn't had any episodes since 2 months ago when she saw something that scared her then she went stiff with blank stare for 5 seconds and passed out.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. the answer to your question is in the EEG itself. You have to look at the morphology and evolution of the discharge. How it is seen in referential and the "double banana" montages, how it spreads over the cortex. Maybe the technician marked the record to synchronize the movement she made with the tracing??? You can have sharp waves at the initiation of sleep. K complexes, and sleep spindles if they form early can be sharp as well early on, but we cannot discuss what is on the EEG without looking at the EEG. If you have the report, and they went into depth in their explanation (which they usually do not), then we could discuss it further. But my suggestion would be that if you have concerns that they are over-reading the eeg, you just get a copy of the record and get an independent review from an epileptologist. I hope that answers your question, I realize that it isn't what you wanted to hear, but this is all I can say from here. Please get back to me if you have questions and I will respond, or, if satisfied, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work, just click on the rating stars. thanks *****
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bernice. There was a technical problem with your question so I could not respond until now. Please get back to me with questions if I can help or remember to rate my service if satisfied by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks. Dr Frank