Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

4 months ago I started getting numb in my legs and arms. the

Customer Question

4 months ago I started getting numb in my legs and arms. the numbness went up to my abdominal area. at three weeks I couldn't walk or hold any thing. I was completely weak and in constant pain. The doctors did every thing they could at the local hospital. did blood tests, urine tests, lung tests, CT scan, stress test and other test I cant recall. All they could provide me was pain killers. I feel better today after 4 months but I'm still weak, but can walk at short distances only. numbness is almost gone. I cant work at this time due to shortness of breath under work load and the right side of my chest and body hurts when I'm exhausted.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary response and ask questions. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Did the doctors give you a diagnosis or are you looking for one online? How can I help, you didn't ask a question. Please get back to me and I will reply. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The doctors had no diagnosis at all . They couldn't find what's wrong with me. One doctor is working on getting me to see a neurologist but it's months away. My question to you is what could be wrong with me?

I see. So you had numbness starting distally and moving up your legs to the level of your abdomen. Coupled to the numbness, but trailing behind was flaccid weakness (meaning the limbs were like a rag doll) . Although the numbness has resolved, the weakness persists . You have no weakness or numbness above a certain level (somewhere on your abdomen, but below your nipple line, correct?) If this started with a flu like illness, then the most likely etiology to your problem is called transverse myelitis, a viral demyelinating condition effecting your thoracic spinal cord. An MRI scan of the thoracic cord would show the lesion. You might have problems with bladder function in this setting?? One test that you may need is a LP, or lumbar puncture to evaluate your CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) for changes consistent with TM (transverse myelitis) , an increased number of cells called lymphocytes increases in protein with a normal glucose level. TM can be the initial event in multiple demyelinating lesions, called MS (multiple sclerosis) so the CSF should be checked for postitive MS tests, oligoclonal bands, IgG index. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This started when I noticed I couldn't lift any thing heavy the one day I was working in my yard. I went to see the doctor the next day. The doctor originally thought I was experiencing an angina attack. He sent me to a cardiologist for a stress test. The cardiologist said my heart was fine after the stress test. Shortly after that the numbness started creeping up on me and the weakness too started getting worse too. So this did not start as a flu like symtom.

There is an artery called the artery of adamkiewicz that supplies the spinal cord. If you have a drop in blood pressure, you can lose blood supply to the spinal cord, and start this problem of ascending paralysis as you describe. Another condition is called CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy) that can give you numbness and then weakness in an ascending fashion. You needed a neurologist to examine you for certain findings like a loss of deep tendon reflexes and a sensory exam, and then perform an EMG on you. did any of that happen? get back to me dr Frank

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They did not do an EMG in me
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

I cannot believe they did not do an emg on you with ascending paralysis? Then they must have thought like I did initially that you had a problem of spinal cord function. Dr Frank

Did they do an MRI scan of the cervical and thoracic spinal cord???? Or did they do a lumbar puncture to look at your cerebrospinal fluid? Dr Frank

I hope I able to answer your question. Please get back to me if you have further questions and I will reply. If satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank