Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a question around midnight this morning both arms

Customer Question

I have a question around midnight this morning both arms went numb all the way to my fingers thru the night and it's 9 hours later and both hands are still numb. I made a appt to my Dr but won't have a spot for a week .should I go to a er and get checked out. Thank you
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Numbness is an absence of sensation. Some people refer to a tingling sensation as numbness, similar to when a foot or hand falls asleep. Which type of numbness are you experiencing?

Are you having any weakness or decreased coordination of the arms or hands?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it started as both arms : falling aslee' wih one coming back than the other and both out again with the right still being asleep around 5 during the rest of the day sofar both arms below the elbo are sore both hands numb with pins and needles and coordination both being off the right more sore than the left

Thank you for the additional information.

The sensation of falling asleep and the pins and needles sensation is not as worrisome. The soreness also is not as worrisome. These symptoms should still be checked, but they do not need urgent attention. If there are muscular symptoms, either manifested as weakness or decreased coordination, that would be more of a concern and there should be a more urgent evaluation. Since you are also having decreased coordination, it would be appropriate to be seen. If you can be seen quickly in your doctor's office or an Urgent Care Center, that would be OK, but if these cannot be done, then an evaluation in the ER may be necessary.

Is there any other assistance that I can provide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you that was a big help

You are very welcome. I am glad I could be of assistance.