Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had 2 cervical disk fusion surgeries, another

Customer Question

I have had 2 cervical disk fusion surgeries, another building survival disk, 1 thoracic and 5 lumber bulging disk. My cervical spine is not stable along with stenosis, bone spurs and arthritis. I am currently being prescribed 15 MG oxycodone 3 X Daily which is not managing the pain.
What do I tell my Pain Management Doctor so he does not think I am asking for stronger medicine for pain and not for addiction. I usually take 1 to 2 daily because I don't want to abuse it.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this answer and respond. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You have a common problem in today's world. There was over 20 million tablets of oxycodone prescribed in the NYC area in 2012, more than one for everyone in the area man woman child. Pain management is under pressure to move off short term opiates to those with longer half lives or switch to neutral agonists like buprenorphine that does not provide euphoria. The rule is now to sign an opiate contract for no longer than 90 days, then switch after the taper. One drug is tapentadalol (nucynta) that provides opiate pain relief and NSAIDs properties. There is no easy solution. Get back to me to discuss or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to answer your questions, please get back to me if you have further questions, if I can help. Remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank