DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I have a grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L4-5 as well as a

Customer Question

I have a grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L4-5 as well as a ruptured disc. This is from an injury 17 years ago. I started experiencing pain approximately 3 years ago and it has been getting progressively worse.
I have see my chiropractor regularly, as well as my massage therapist. I have tried accupuncture w/ minimal relief. I recently saw a physiotherapist and he said there wasn't much more he could do in addition to hat I've already been doing.
NSAIDS and Tramacet provide minimal relief. I am currently on Gabapentin 800 mg tid. I have also had anesthetic injections.
Typically I have minimal pain in the morning (2-3 on a scale of 1-10) but by between 1 and 3 pm the pain is normally 5-7. By 8 pm the pain is usually up to 8 or 9 and it is difficult to stand up from a sitting position - at about a 45 degree angle I can feel the pressure pinching in my left hip and I have to slowly move to the upright position as I can handle the pain.
My family doctor says at grade 1 is not so bad and pretty much I should just deal w/ it. My chiropractor says this is very severe.
I cannot walk or stand for any amount of time w/o pain. I can't do regular household chores w/o pain. I cannot drive w/o pain.
Just wondering if you had any insight.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You need a comprehensive manual medicine program beyond what you are on.

I would see an MD specialist in manual medicine.

they are called physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists

Also called physiatrists.

A physiatrist might add electronic therapies, specialized traction, etc.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed, in the medical catetory, for correct, safe and accurate answers.