Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My mother-in-law's almost 92 and she is experiencing

Customer Question

My mother-in-law's almost 92 and she is experiencing dizziness on the left side of her face occasionally… she is already unsteady on her feet and uses a walker… And she is extremely hard of hearing… She is taking 160 mg of Diovan and also 20 mg of the beta blocker which I think seem to be causing her dizziness… Your thoughts?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your question and respond shortly. We can discuss this until you are satisfied.

Dr. Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Most likely given her age and gender she has combined hearing loss both conductive and sensory neural. The dizziness could very well be a change in her blood pressure given her medications. Is she orthostatic, meaning is she dizzy only when she goes from a laying down or sitting position to a standing position? Is she dizzy when she turns her head rapidly? Please get back to me with answers and we can discuss this further.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I will reply when you respond. I would agree that the 160mg of diovan and 20 mg of the beta blocker, although not enormous doses, may contribute to dropping her pressure to give a sensation of dizziness. You could test that with a tilt table test done by any internist to see how much variability in BP and heart rate exists, and alter her meds appropriately. Please get back to me if you wish to discuss this further, or if satisfied, remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 12 months ago.

Hello. I hope I was able to answer your question, please get back to me with further questions if I can help and I will reply. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. thanks Dr frank