Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a family member, 21 y/o F, recently diagnosed with

Customer Question

I have a family member, 21 y/o F, recently diagnosed with SLE and TB meningitis. EEG was done and result is noted "background activity consists of diffuse very low voltage 3-5 Hz" and concluded findings as suggestive of near electrocerebral silence. VSS, labs are okay. Is it still possible to recover from it?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond shortly. Please read this answer and reply. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The EEG is not a good measure for brain death protocols in TB meningitis as it is a suppurative meningitis (pus producing) which robs isolated energy metabolism from the cortex and changes conductivity through the meninges. It helps to diagnose non-convulsive status epilepticus ( sub clinical constant seizing) or possible mass lesions like the tb abscess or stroke. But the neurological exam is more important. Glasgow coma scale? Get back to me if I can help. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So to answer your question. Absolutely it is possible to recover given what I know here. Given her age especially. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to send you some useful information. Please get back to me and I will reply. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank