Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I alredy sent a msg regarding my daughter who is a Doctor

Customer Question

I alredy sent a msg regarding my daughter who is a Doctor and aged 25 yrs. She had seizure when she was 14 yrs old and then when she was doing 1st MBBS when she was 18yrs old and then in 25 yrs old after marriage when she had 4 weeks pregnancy. She was taking Topiramate 50 mg one time till ge conceived ,.Then strted taking Levitracetam 200 mg and had a seizure and increased the dose to 750 mg Is it safe to continue Levitracetam ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and issue a response shortly. Please read that preliminary answer and reply. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You did not mention if she is currently pregnant on Levetiracetam (Keppra) or has delivered the baby, so I will assume you mean she is still pregnant. So if the question is if it is safe to use this medication in pregnancy, the answer is yes. It is rated Pregnancy Category C as per the FDA, which means we cannot say, we have not tested it during pregnancy, but in fact it has been tested. Like everyday common daily anti-epileptic, Keppra was tested and found to cause skeletal abnormalities in rats and mice, but only at enormous doses. When tested in humans, pregnancy risk was found to be around 0.7%, which is one of the lowest of all the AED's. Compare that with using Valproic Acid (Depakene) which is listed at 6.7%, almost 10 times the risk of creating malformations in pregnancy. So my answer is yes, she should stay on her Levetiracetam. She should stay on the lowest possible dose however. Dose ranges are from 750 mg to 3000 mg in divided doses (twice or three times a day) so as she gets into the third trimester, she will need to increase her dose to compensate for her increasing size. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this answer as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me if you have questions about the answer. If satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars. Thanks. Dr Frank