Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I just had an mri done and the result was "abnormal signal

Customer Question

Hello i just had an mri done and the result was "abnormal signal present within the cord posterior to the t3 vertebral body" how serious is this?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will send you a preliminary answer shortly, please review this reply and respond if you have questions, we can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Would you have the entire MRI report? Your statement is insufficient for me to give you a useful answer. I would need to know the signal was abnormal in what sequences (T1, T2, FLAIR, Proton Density, Inversion Recovery, etc) It may be nothing or it may be important. The entire report would help, if you do upload it, please leave your name or any identifying information off it as this is a public forum. Could you also add your age,if you have any problem, etc. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is. Hope its readable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A pic of the mri thats shows the anomaly
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Well that picture does not show the lesion. It is a sagittal image sequence in T1, so most likely it would not show an intramedullary lesion (within the spinal cord). The image that I can see probably starts around T5 and is of the lower thoracic and lumbar vertebra. And that report is less than optimal. You are suppose to describe what you see, and in what sequence, but that didn't happen in this report. Was this done in the US? Unfortunately, I cannot give you any information based on the imaging, or the image report. Did you have a problem at a level just above your nipple line? Pain, numbness, weakness, urinary incontinence, problems walking? Did you have a viral infection (transverse myelitis) that really made you weak? Let me know how I can help. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you have the disc, pick out the T1 FLAIR sequence if it is listed, ok? then you look at the vertebra, the one with the largest spinous process (sticking out the back opposite the spinal cord from the vertebral bodies) is C7, so you count down 3 vertebral bodies from that spot, it should be T3, ok? get back to me if you find something on a midline sagittal image that looks white inside the black spinal cord (inside a white cerebral spinal fluid), Look on the scout series which is at the beginning of the CD, that has numbered planes, and pick a plane that runs through T3, then chose that image from the numbers at the lower left hand side of each image, until you find the T3 horizontal plane, where you look at the image of the cord cross-sectionally. If you find those images, upload them ok? Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bottom of the picture is t3. This was supposed to be an mri of my neck, but picked up those 3. I get pain up my back into my neck/head. Going to a chiro seems to help a bit. If i wait too long the pain radiates into my sternum.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

ok. do you have any of the transverse images? This might be an extra-axial lesion, no way to tell with this one pic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went for an mri because of pain in my neck/back that makes me real shaky through my chest and arms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They would not give me the cd of all the images, but the one i showed you confused and upset them. Inwill have additional ones monday. Is a lesion serious?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I cannot tell you anything from this. This could be artifact (a problem with the machine) for all I can tell from this one image Sorry, not enough information. Dr Frank