Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Pain in right outside lower leg. Aching /3 wks. Been Putting

Customer Question

Pain in right outside lower leg. Aching for 2/3 wks. Been
Putting "icy hot" and others on leg 2/3times a day. Lower half of leg,on
Right Outside. Toes are little stiff and numb. I am active and walk my dog 1-2 mi.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Your symptoms of pain in the outside of lower leg and stiffness and numbness of the toes is suspicious for a nerve injury in the leg. For example injury to a nerve by name common peroneal nerve can cause these symptoms. These symptoms can also be due to local musculoskeletal in nature – which means injury to some of the soft tissues like ligaments or tendons or the muscle etc in the lower leg. Rarely these types of symptoms may be coming from the lower spine in the form of a pinched spinal nerve.

As you see there are various possibilities to explain these symptoms and you may try to see your clinic doctors, preferably a neurologist in the clinic so that you will receive a thorough clinical examination and also certain relevant investigations like an MRI scan and a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/nerve conduction test and this systematic approach should help in finding out the precise cause for your new symptoms and then treated appropriately. In the meantime for the relief from your symptoms you may try a nerve-pain pill like Gabapentin or Pregabalin etc.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor