vakularen
vakularen, Other
Experience:  practising medicine since last 35 years.
15267045

I have had cervical dystonia since I was in my teens. It has

Customer Question

Hello, I have had cervical dystonia since I was in my teens. It has been in remission for about 13 years with the occasional flare up now and then. I had a car accident in April where I was rear ended pretty bad in a 4 car pile-up. My dystonia is now constant
and I now have it in my eyes and shoulder. My neurologist started botox and it's not helping like before I'm still responding to it because he did a test in my forehead and it made me not able to wrinkle my face. My question is since this came back after my
accident will it just go away once whatever got messed up gets better? Or is thereally something that he could be missing that could be causing it? I was told from another neurologist that I am exhibiting signs of having a brainstem injury once that heals
will this go back into remission? It's almost like the doctors are shooting in the dark and there is no real plan or time frame they can give. I know dystonia is not well studied but I'm grasping at anything I can trying to get back to a normal life
Category: Neurology
Expert:  vakularen replied 1 year ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Cervical Dystonia(CD) or Spasmodic Torticollis is usually a chronic condition.It can get aggravated or relapse may occur following undue stress,cervical spine injury,upper respiratory tract infections,due to some medication and idiopathic causes.Post traumatic CD may occur secondary to the whiplash injury to the spinal cord and neck and shoulder muscles due to sudden decelaration/accellaration .Post traumatic torticollis is an entirely different issue which may not have anything to do with the previous attack.As the damage wears off with time it would be easier to predict the time it would take and the extent of recovery.The extent of brain stem injury and other trauma to the brain can be checked by your MRI/CT scans.Botox is the treatment of choice for CD and it may take much longer for this to be effective.As the effects of the post traumatic CD recede,matters should gradually settle down with time.