Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My daughter accidentally took my Bactrim prescription

Customer Question

My daughter accidentally took my Bactrim prescription tonight instead of her Depacoat she takes for seizures. It looked very similar to her meds so she took it by mistake. Problem is, she took 3 of them (which is her Depacoat dose) and it isn't her med.
I am worried. My Generic Bactrim prescription is 800-160 tablet.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this answer and ask questions. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

There is no real concern from taking three doses of bactrim unless she has an allergy to sulfa medications. As she takes depakote, her liver metabolism is good and able to metabolize trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole quickly. You should keep her hydrated and she should eliminate it over 24 hours. She might get diarrhea as a result of this ingestion but you can give her yogurt to replenish her intestinal bacterial flora Please get back to me if you have questions and I will respond. If satisfied please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Just click on the rating stars. Thanks. Dr Frank