Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Almost a month and a half ago I was injured playing

Customer Question

Almost a month and a half ago I was injured playing basketball. When I darted for the ball I felt as if some one kicked me in the right calf. I could not walk. I suspect I suffered a torn muscle. My right calf is still, to a lesser degree, sore & my ankle is still slightly swollen.
I had long streaks of bruises along the side of my right foot & ankle. What injury do u think I suffered & how should I treat it?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please review my preliminary answer and respond if you have questions, we can discuss this until you are satisfied dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So is the bruising on the inside surface of your lower calf and layering out down behind the inside or medial part of the medial malleolus (inside ankle bone) OR is it on the lateral side, along the fibula which is a slender bone running from just under your knee down to your outside or lateral malleolus (ankle bone), in that case it might layer out on front and the top of the foot.. Do you have any numbness anywhere on your foot or lower leg? I will then send you a reply. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joseph. The other doctor opted out, but I am available to assist you if you still need help. There is a good chance you suffered a grade 2 or grade 3 calf strain. These are fairly common injuries. In grade 2 injuries there is partial tearing of muscle fibers in the gastroc-soleus muscle complex. Full recovery takes approximately 5-8 weeks. Grade 3 injuries are the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibers. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed. I would be happy to go over the details with you.

Regards,

Doctor-Bob