Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My dad is taking chemo therapy of Alimpta and Carboplatin

Customer Question

My dad is taking chemo therapy of Alimpta and Carboplatin for lung cancer. Before treatment he had mild symptoms of Parkinsons, slight tremor and slightly off balance. After his first treatment with Alimpta he quickly developed shuffling walk, stooped
posture, EXTREME anxiety and restlessness. After the second treatment with Alimpta + Carboplain plus the addition of Prochlorperazine orally he could not swallow, had a masked expression, drooling, worsened tremor, muscle stiffness, neck discomfort, ect. He
was admitted to the hospital and in 24 hrs he could swallow and was much better. The only thing that are different is that he is taking Ativan through the drip and he is not taking his anti-nausea meds. I just discovered that the "anti nausea meds" are antipsychotics
and that was not explained to us. Is it possible that these meds are causing all of this instead of the cancer itself or the chemo. Could this cause rapid Parkinsonism? He is prone to psychiatric side effects so I am thinking this may have been our problem
all along but I don't expect the doc to agree when he comes in. (He also got anti nausea meds through the drip before his chemo treatments).
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It looks to me from his meds that he has problem with side effect from the Prochloroperazine... known for "EXTRAPYRAMIDAL" side effects which mimic Parkinson's in many ways >>

He should probably come off this medication..

Consult with his doctor on this..

I hope that this information is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you. if my answer has been helpfula dn to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been off of it for two day due to the fact that he is in the
hospital and does not have it. He is much better. The neurologist
was in and going to start him on low dose Lepadopa. How long
should we expect it to take before the extreme symptoms (like
anxiety and insomnia) may be relieved after discontinuation?

Hello again,

It sounds that he has several factors that may contribute to some symptoms in his case. Most effects which may have been side effects of the Prochloperazine should be finishing within days....I would not expect much if any lasting side effects of this beyond 5 to 7 days...

You had also noted that he seemed to have early Parkinson's type symptoms before starting meds ...so he may have been in early stage of Parkinson's before but made dramatically worse by the medication...

This would make sense with his improvement and neurologist starting Levadopa ...

The anxiety and insomnia may be associated with other factors it seems ...

If he has ongoing trouble with these symptoms then that may need to be addressed separately

You note that he is currently in hospital which in itself would tend to make anxiety and insomnia worse for most people...

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD