Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I'm experiencing neuropathy on my feet past year or so. I'm

Customer Question

I'm experiencing neuropathy on my feet for the past year or so. I'm not diabetic. Now my arms and hands are feeling numb. My feet get really painful after walking for a little while. The soles of my feet get red n hot. I have seen several neurologist n nobody seems to know the answer. Im taking 75 mg of lyrica at bedtime. No relief. I'm also taking my B vitamins with metafolin. Help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello Welcome to JA I will review your statement and reply shortly, Please review this preliminary answer and respond. we can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The statistics are that neuropathy is not an easily diagnosed condition. About a third of patients with neuropathy are diagnosed as idiopathic, meaning without known reason. So you are not alone. I assume you have had an EMG/NCV study, do you know if the test showed a demyelinating, or axonal type of neuropathy? I assume you have had a vasculitis/autoimmune disease workup, as well as screens for inflammatory types like CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy)? with immunoglobulin levels and hematology evaluations. You can get skin biopies to measure for small fiber neuropathy, etc. Please get back to me with your results if you need explanations. As for they Lyrica, I would assume you just started as the normal maintenance dose is 75 mg twice a day, with a therapeutic range of 150 to 300 mg daily in divided doses. So if you haven't raised your dose, you should ask your doctor. There are places to send your nerve biopsy if needed for a diagnosis (like a possible genetic history). One of the best places is the peripheral nerve diseases research lab at the Mayo clinic under Dr. James Peter Dyck, or his son (same name). Please get back to me if I can help. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****