Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I HAD SHINGLES 3 YEARS AGO AND THE VACCINE ONE AND A HALF

Customer Question

I HAD SHINGLES 3 YEARS AGO AND THE VACCINE ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO. FOR THE LAST 2 MONTHS i HAVE PAIN LIKE ELECTRIC SHOCKS DOWN MY SIDE FROM UNDER MY ARM AND UNDER THE BREAST. WOULD THE NERVE PAIN BE FROM THE SHINGLES? I HAVE NO BLISTERS OR RASH. IT IS CONTINUOUS.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond shortly. Please read that preliminary answer and reply if you have questions. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Shingles as you probably remember has a characteristic sequence of pain which is lancinating or shooting knife-like at onset (sometimes a very low grade fever as well early) then erythema or redness followed by vesicles ( blisters) that appear in clusters of grapes shape they have clear raised centers with vermilion borders or rings at the bases. They crust early and usually do not scar. You do not have to have the blisters but may see the erythema ( redness) in the dermatomal location.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Called Zoster sine herpete, You treat the pain in a similar fashion and use oral anti- virals and steroids as needed. Have you tried Horizant ( gabapentin extended release)? How can I help? Get back to me with questions and I will answer. If satisfied with this answer please remember to rate this service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Click on the rating stars. Thanks dr frank