Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

TWO NEUROLOGIST HAVE DIFFERING DIAGNOSIS WIFE 77. ONE SAYS

Customer Question

TWO NEUROLOGIST HAVE DIFFERING DIAGNOSIS FOR MY WIFE 77. ONE SAYS MMN AND THE OTHR ALS. HER SPEECH IS BECOMING MORE SLURRED. SOME INPROVEMENT AFTER INFUSIONS OF IMMUNOGOBULIN...SPEECH AND SELF IMGE IS MAIN PROBLEM. HEARD THERE IS STEM CELL TREATMENT THAT GIVES HOPE, BUT THAT IS IN MEXICO. AFRAID OF THAT OPTION.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will send you a preliminary answer, please review this and respond when you are online, if you have questions and wish to discuss this. It is thanksgiving today, but I will respond so do not lose patience. I would need to know a bit more about your wife's problem to give you a better answer. I will say now that ALS is a type of MND (motor neuron disease), there are others like PLS (primary lateral sclerosis) and have characteristics of a peripheral nerve problem like MMN. I cannot tell from here, the EMG study and the MRI of the brain, especially if they did MR spectroscopy of the central motor pathways. Also a Lumbar Puncture looking at protein, cell count and cytology is helpful. If you have that information, please upload the findings leaving out your wife's name/identifying information as this is a public forum. I will reply. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I am here to discuss your wife's case with you, just reply. Dr Frank