Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a bulging disc at the limbo sacral disc level.

Customer Question

I have a bulging disc at the limbo sacral disc level. Causing compression on the nerve root of L5 in the right neoroforaminal canal. I am in enormous pain and have had to take leave from work as it is unbearable to work. Is surgery an option with this diagnosis? If so., how successful are the statistics? Are there any major risks? What would be involved?
Await to hear from you. Many thanks. Mel
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond. Please read the preliminary answer and then reply. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Surgery of the disc, either a full blown laminectomy with fusion, or a more selective endoscopic procedure where part of the disc is removed, and the area built up to protect the exiting nerve root, is certainly an option. But there are less invasive options as well that should be considered, only because once you start surgical procedures you invite the chance of a second surgery, etc. There are many things to consider before deciding on surgery. Do you have weakness in the muscles innervated by that nerve root (for example, do you have a foot drop, or a droop when trying to walk on your heels) or just pain? Do you have numbness in your foot (the L5 root should cause numbness along the lateral side of your calf, and down to the lateral side of your foot). Have you tried ESI (epidural steroid injection therapy) or just Physical therapy? I would have to see your MRI scan of the lumbar spine obviously to tell you more about surgical options, if you have multiple discs starting to degenerate, or a family history of spinal stenosis. Are you in good "surgical shape" with a strong core musculature? All this has to be taken into account. There are also tests like EMG to look at that L5 root and determine the severity of injury, etc. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for this work. Just click on the rating stars. thanks dr Frank