Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Experiencing numbness in my hands and feet on my left side

Customer Question

Experiencing numbness in my hands and feet on my left side espeally when I get upset.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The most likely diagnosis given your statement is that you suffer from hyperventilation syndrome. This is a condition that when anxious, you unconsciously change your acid/base balance in your blood by blowing off your carbon dioxide in your lungs by breathing more rapidly. This causes a reduction in blood flow and a more alkaline pH. Your nerves register this change by reducing the sensory imput and you can have numbness, or tingling (paresthesis) or both. This is a normal physiologic response and you are not injuring yourself, it you note full recovery after you are calm. Please discuss this possibility with your doctor as there are ways of treating this effectively with calming medications, biofeedback or CBT (computer based therapy), meditation, yoga, etc. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, ask questions and I will respond, add information about you if you feel it will help getting a better answer. If satisfied, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Click on the rating stars. Thanks Dr Frank