Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My balance has become unsteady past 5weeks, 5weeks ago I saw

Customer Question

My balance has become unsteady for the past 5weeks, 5weeks ago I saw my doctor & she sent me to hospital, where they kept me for the night because of my balance problems & the fact that my blood pressure which is around 130 or 132 had been fluctuating around 166. My age is 70. I had the same problem 11 months ago & on both occasions the hospital did CT scans. & other tests & could find nothing. My blood pressure has since returned to normal without tablets in the last 3 weeks (132) but I still have balance problems persisting.11 months ago by balance problems cleared up by themselves, but this time it appears to be persisting, even though now my blood pressure is normal. Could you please give me some idea what health problem it could be. The doctor in the hospital said I didn't have Vertigo.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Your diagnosis is probably VBI (vertebrobasilar insufficiency). This is seen in hypertension especially if linked to other "metabolic syndrome" problems like prediabetes or hypercholesterolemia. You can have stenosis or narrowing of the vertebral arteries in your neck and should have an MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) as part of your evaluation of posterior cerebral circulation. Get back to me to discuss this if I can help. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service if satisfied by clicking on the stars thanks dr frank