Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had an MRI done back in July problem that I have been

Customer Question

I had an MRI done back in July for a problem that I have been having for years now. The problem usually begins with a tight feeling in my neck muscles, when the episode is happening I often feel like my head and neck are getting heavy so I have to move around in order to feel "normal". The episodes do not last long at all, (less than 1 minute, less than 30 seconds). These episodes are sporadic and I do not have to be thinking of anything in particular or doing anything in particular for these episodes to occur. I cannot drive because when these episodes happen i often lose dexterity in my fingers and it is like my brain does not process what my body is telling it to do. I actually had one of these episodes while driving and my body was telling my brain to press the brake but.. I simply could not. These episodes effect me me in sleep as well, I am always waking up and as you can probably imagine by now, i have injured myself plenty of times. Sometimes if I take a moment and take deep breaths in and out I can keep the episodes somewhat under control but even so, i can feel my eyes twitching a bit. I have seen 2 neurologists so far and the MRI has just revealed narrowing and dessication at c5/c6, a mild dis bulge and mild stenosis. No brain issues at all, no neuroligical issues, Video EEG came back fine, my blood tests in the past have only revealed Vitamin D deficiency, Anxiety medications have not really worked at all. I have come to notice over the years that if I hold my neck at a slightly more upright angle, I can sleep w/o an attack for longer than if I sleep flat. I have been to 1 physical therapist once who simply said that it just seems like the muscles in my neck are weak. Do you really think this is what it is? Nobody can tell me whats wrong.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and issue a preliminary answer or ask you questions shortly. Please review this information and respond. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. There are a variety of cervical dystonias, antecollis, retrocollis, spasmodic torticollis. Sometimes these are hard to pick up on examination, it requires an EMG test, the needle exam of your paracervical muscles. Sometimes there is a history of Parkinson's disease or Parkinsonian syndrome in the family. Have you had neurodiagnostic testing of your cervical spine musculature? Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help Dr Frank