Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Is there an expert that can help me with the problem I'm

Customer Question

Is there an expert that can help me with the problem I'm having with my ear please??!!!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

What problem are you having, and how long have you had it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the ER last night because for days I was coughing up junk and the on Saturday my right ear was hurting and starting clogging up so I went to the ER and saw the doctor and she looked in my ear and said my canal was clear and I thought it was wax build up but she said my ear drum was beat red and said I had a ear infection and sinusitis or sinus infection and she prescribed augmentin and I took one pill last night and one this morning and one right now so I have had a total of 3 pills so far, my right ear has been completely blocked all day and it's freaking me out because I have really bad anxiety. It's completely blocked and a few minutes ago I felt a little drainage and then a decent amount of wax came out, it was brownish and pasty and I think it was wax even though the doctor had told me my ear canal was mostly clear. Can someone help me, it feels worse, it's totally blocked!!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. If your doctor said your ear canal was mostly clear, then wax would not explain the blockage. Fluid behind the ear drum, however, could explain it. This is common in head colds because the tube that normally drains fluid from the middle ear (the eustachian tube) often gets blocked and the fluid builds up (just like in the sinuses). If this fluid is not allowed to exit the middle ear, it will eventually get infected. This further inflames the eardrum and typically lead to pain and diminished hearing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels like I'm under water, I have really bad anxiety and I'm freaking out about this, a little while ago I felt a bit of drainage I think and then I think wax just came out, it was pasty like and brownish like but my ear is still completely blocked, it started getting blocked Saturday, I do t know what to do, please help me! Is there anything that you can tell me to reassure me
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

First of all, you have had the ear examined and your doctor apparently did not see any reason for alarm. This should be very reassuring to you. In the vast majority of such cases, symptoms improve within 5-7 days. Did your doctor provide you with any recommendations regarding "cold" medications to take? Some of the more common ones over-the-counter (e.g. Zyrtec-D, Dayquil, Actifed) have decongestants in them that can help to reduce fluid and swelling in the eustachian tubes. This typically helps to open the tubes up so the middle ears can empty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took sudafed a couple of hours ago as well as Flonase, I have ibuprofen and I also have 500mg of naproxen but do t know if I should take it, they both are anti inflammatories
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

The usual recommendation is to take one or the other (ibuprofen or naproxen), but not both. Each is about equally effective for pain and fever. The sudafed should help with the ear if you take it as directed for the next few days. Just be careful if you have high blood pressure. Sometimes an antihistamine is helpful as well. Eventually that ear tube is going to open up and the fluid will exit along with any buit up pressure, and you will feel a lot better. Chewing gum can sometimes help in this regard if everything else is improving.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if it doesn't get better or open?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

It will...just be sure to check back in with your doctor if it seems to be taking longer than expected, or if new symptoms appear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would that mean?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Any change for the worse...pain, fever, progressive hearing loss. These things are not likely to happen now that you are on a strong antibiotic and sudafed. You just need to give the treatment plan outlined by your doctor a little more time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does the antibiotic take to work? Shouldn't it have started to work by now?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

If there is a bacterial infection, it should start to improve within 72 hours. If there is fluid trapped in the middle ear, however, it needs to drain before you will get significant improvement. This is where the decongestant and antihistamine come in. They too will generally need 2-3 days to be effective, sometimes less.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adam. How's the ear today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still blocked up!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Are you taking the antibiotic and sudafed?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

If these are not working, you could consider adding an antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec. In addition, there is an over-the-counter nasal spray called Afrin (oxymetazoline) that can help open up clogged sinuses and eustachian tubes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm taking the antibiotic, sudafed and using Flonase and Advil
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

You should be getting better soon. Hang in there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do f I have fluid in there and it won't drain!! I'm worried about this!!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

The fluid will drain eventually. If it doesn't improve in the next few says, you should see an ENT specialist. They can take care of this for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's popping now like crazy, I'm thinking it's breaking up
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

That's a good sign.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was popping a lot and now it's not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it stopped popping and blocked again!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Not to worry...this will slowly improve.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. How's the ear now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's better but now what I had before is back, both sides of my tongue are inflamed and sore and raw, I had this a while ago and then it got better except for the inflammation on both sides of my tongue and the last couple of days it's been sore and raw on both sides, I had gone to the doctor about it and he just said that it was inflammation and was probably due to acid reflux but I don't know, one expert on here said it was from anxiety and another said it was lack of vitamins but I have been taking vitamins
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear your ear is doing better. Perhaps the sore tongue is from cold sores or herpes stomatitis, an inflammation caused by the oral herpes virus which comes and goes. Ask your doctor about acyclovir, an anti-viral medication. If it is herpes stomatitis, this medication can suppress the outbreak and speed up healing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I HAVENT BEEN SEXUALLY ACTIVE IN PROBABLY LIKE A YEAR AND A HALF THOUGH

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

It's not a sexual disease. 80-90% of the population get oral herpes virus (HSV 1). You are confusing HSV1 (oral) with HSV2 (genital) herpes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IF IT WAS THAT WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

It can look like little round clear sores or just redness and swelling, or both.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THE DOCTOR HAD LOOKED AT IT, WOULDNT HE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TELL? ALSO THE DENTIST HAD LOOKED AT IT.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

The inflammation can from herpes stomatitis can be non-specific...and it is temporary so many doctors do not feel the need to treat it. If it fails to start improving over the next 5 days, have it examined again to be sure. In the meantime, advil might help to reduce it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IS THIS SOMETHING TO BE FREAKED OUT ABOUT?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

No, not at all. Just like your ear, it will get better.

Just stay in touch with your doctors and follow their recommendations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the doctor didnt say that it was herpes!!

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Did he say it wasn't? I can't tell you what it is without examining you...I can only provide background information about possibilities...wither way, it sounds as if your doctor was not concerned, so you shouldn't be...we see these kinds of things every day...it will likely improve with your other cold symptoms. If you think it is related to the antibiotic, ask your doctor about this, you may need to change to something else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today was the last day on the augmentin
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

That's a good thing. You should continue to improve slowly. It might take a few more days. Let your doctor know if anything worsens. Hope all works out for the best for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm asking is if I was on an antibiotic then why would my tongue be sore, the antibiotic would have helped that right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's really hurting is on the left side of my tongue I have what looks like this little tiny blister almost, it's pinkish in color in the center and a whiteish circle around it
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

The antibiotic would help for a bacterial infection in the ear, throat, sinus or chest. It would not help for a viral infection such as herpes stomatitis. This condition is often marked by small circular lesions along the sides of the tongue (cold sores) or on the gums or lips. It typically resolves after 1 or 2 weeks. It sometimes improves faster with acyclovir, an anti-viral medication.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions about this. Otherwise, a positive rating would be appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,Customer Please don't forget to provide a positive rating.

This is the only way I get credit for the time I spent assisting you.

Thanks, ***** ***** it.