Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Is nail clubbing definitive of lung cancer sign? Like if i

Customer Question

Is nail clubbing definitive of lung cancer sign ? Like if i have clubbing due to low oxygen levels in my blood not reaching and getting to my extremeties fingers toes thanks to smoking does me having slight clubbinb i still have schamroth window but my
nails have noticeable curving does this mean i should get checked ? I gkt checked about 8 momths ago do to anxiety thinkinv i have lung cancer and evrything came back good aside from very mild emohysema and chronic bronchitis buy ky nails have curved more
since then and so this the reason for my new comcern
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and send you a preliminary reply. Please review this answer and reply if you have questions, I can discuss this with you until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The answer to your question is No. There are a variety of lung and heart diseases associated with clubbing of the nails. This type of clubbing is associated with a reduction in blood oxygen saturation (SatO2), the most common being COPD, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. But there are others. More importantly you can have clubbing without any lung or heart disease, or any drop in SatO2.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

There is a genetic form of clubbing, called Toraine-Solent-Gole syndrome which leads to elevated levels of certain prostaglandins and can effect collagen synthesis and the structure of your nails and periosteum, the layer around your bones. So if there is a family history, you are of eastern or northern European descent, that might be the reason. Smoking, however, can chronically drop your oxygen saturation and you can develop COPD and have those nail changes without lung cancer. Other pulmonary causes include different forms of interstitial pneumonitis, like DIP. Lung infections like Tb which is fairly obvious, and a variety of lung infections, also fairly obvious. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you like to see pics of my nails if i can somehow upload them to you if seeing pic necessary for any reason being that im assuming given my age and smoking history, its probably not likely to what i was thinking lung cancer ? My doctor good doctor and friend and he saw me last week and i sae him glance at my hands and nails but he said nothing so im assuming there was no reason for him to say anything being that he know i a smoker
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Upload the pictures of your fingers. There should be a yellow upload button by the text window for uploading files Use jpg. files. Try to get pics from in front and from the side if you can. thanks *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is L arginine a dangerous in any way supplement to take daily ? Ive been taking it for the past 2 weeks or so and i seem to feel more energized and as if i cam even breathe better ? But someone told me and i read up that too much can be dangerous and affect brain tissue negatively. Is this true ?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. L Arginine is an enantiomer of a common amino acid. It is a precursor in the production of nitric oxide which effects blood vessels metabolically to increase blood flow especially in the heart, although also in cerebral blood vessels for people with vasospasm (migraine and stroke patients). At higher doses I actually was involved in some of the research ( most going unpublished but that is another story) that shows it can interfere with regulation of energy utilization in the brain by its role in the tricarboxylic acid cycle that occurs in glial tissue. So it probably is not helpful and can become potentially toxic at very high doses ( well over 20 grams/d) and if you have reactive airway disease or low blood pressure you need to use it in moderation. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me possibile symptoms of toxicity? And are you advising i dont take it at all ? Also are you telling me that it is not beneficial in any way? And maybe even more harmful than not and so maybe i shouldnt take it at all? I feel great but i have a funny almost chaulky/medicine like taste /texture in my mouth im guessing thanks to the arginine maybe? I also just had a vegetable juice the naked brand maybe im overloading on no?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. Actually, as you ask me if I should take it, I am thinking just the opposite. Given your smoking history, your probable vasospasm reacting to these fingernails, and my thoughts about your potential cardiovascular problems, arginine seems like the perfect choice, just stay within the recommended range. For cardiovascular disease it is like 750 mg twice a day. For congestive heart failure, due to severe cardiovascular disease, you can take up the dose as high as 20 grams, but I would not recommend that for you. Toxicity would be paresthesia (tingling) or numbness distally in your hands and feet. It can also effect kidney function at high doses, causing you to get gout from excessive protein metabolism, it blocks an enzyme which regulates your uric acid levels. Also they say if you have herpes, it can accelerate the exacerbations of viral shedding. I will look up toxicity on the web for other issues

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Here is the page from the National Library of medicine. They talk about intestinal problems in toxicity. Please get back to me if I can help, or remember to rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/L-arginine

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I hope I was able to send you useful information on your nail condition and the arginine issue. Please get back to me if you have further questions. If satisfied, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Just click on the rating stars. thanks *****