Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I got shingles in Jan. of 2013. The scabs went away quickly

Customer Question

I got shingles in Jan. of 2013. The scabs went away quickly but there is still paralysis in the lower chin area, and vertigo. Right ear canal swollen ever since. Cochlea may be harboring the virus
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. From your description you have a tough problem. I will try to make some suggestions. One question is did you have an Facial EMG lately, what is your motor evoked response amplitude in comparison to normal controls in that lab? Conduction velocities? What does your blink reflex test show? And your MRI scan of the petrous part of the temporal bone, the cochlear area including the vestibular nerve, was the scan done with gadolinium enhancement? And then about your vestibular testing, what does your optokinetic nystagmus/rotatory tests show? What meds have you tried for vertigo? Maybe I can come up with something new. Please let me know. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello Edwin. I am here to help with your problem, but only if you reply. Please get back to me with questions. There is a syndrome called gradenigo's, you may have that but we need to discuss it either here online or by phone. I will put out the phone option so I can call you. Dr Frank