Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had a pulse or twitch in my bicep a week and now I

Customer Question

I have had a pulse or twitch in my bicep for over a week and now I have had tingling in my upper arms on both sides. I had labs done a few days ago and they were all normal
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello Welcome to JA. I will send you a preliminary answer. Please review it and then reply. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I do not have any information on you, your age, any medical problems, are you athletic, did you have any neck pain or neck trauma at onset. What labs did you have done, did you have a fever chills, exposure to toxins/solvents? Tell me about the exact distribution of the tingling, is it exactly the same bilaterally? Let me know and I will try to give you an answer or a direction to get an answer. I assume you have not seen a neurologist, nor had an MRI/neuro exam, etc. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just basic labs my PCP did. I am a 38 yr old male who weighs 220 and is 6'1". I exercise 4-5 days per week by running or using elliptical for 30 minutes. No bx of fever or chills. I work for the natural gas company but nothing showed up on my blood work. I don't have any other know medical problems. The tingling is the same bilaterally in both upper arms (above elbow). I have some tightness in the neck and slight tingling and burning sensation in both upper arms and neck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not seen a Neuro or had any scans or MRIs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also had ringing in left ear and thumping sound in the right ear as well as a tingling sensation in the left ear. My lips have felt tingly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have other questions or need more info
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

that's fine unless there is something else. would you say you are stressed out now more than ever? could this be anxiety driven?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

any neck problems, do you bench press or move heavy weights, did you hear your neck crack or have any cervical problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have Leah's had anxiety and never experienced these symptoms before.
I've not had any cervical problems and don't bench press.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Always not Leah's
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Always not Leah's? I don't follow

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I cannot examine you. but you state you have transient paresthesis (tingling) without any associated numbness, or weakness, or pain. You do describe some stiffness in the muscles in the neck area, but to cause paresthesis in the arms you need more than just that, there should be a pain component at least for some compression of nerves. You could postulate you have a lesion within your cervical spinal cord, in the dorsal columns area, that could give you tingling in the arms, but that could not cause tingling on your face. You also have the tingling sensation in your ears, and the thumping which sounds like pulsatile tinnitus. All of this suggests a problem of acid/base balance, where you are blowing off CO2, breathing faster than usual, and have transient migratory paresthesis as a result. It is called hyperventilation syndrome. One way to diagnose this is the routine blood work ordered by your doctor, to check you anion gap which might be increased as your CO2 drops.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

There are other conditions that can cause paresthesis alone, but not migratory, and not transient. One way you could diagnose this condition is to try the "paper bag test" at home. You take a lunch size paper bag, and place it over your mouth and nose, rebreathing the exhaled co2. Your paresthesis should stop within a few minutes. If that happens you have your diagnosis. Get back to me to discuss this further, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I am having twitching in my feet and the feeling all over my body.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I cannot treat you from here. I would suggest that if this problem has become more severe that you go to the emergency room and discuss this with a physician who can do an examination and provide treatment. Please get back to me if I can help. Dr Frank