Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

What does it mean at L4-5, central and right paracentral

Customer Question

What does it mean at L4-5, central and right paracentral disc protrusion with annular fissure combined with facet arthroscopic results mild narrowing and central canal encroachment of the right lateral recess. In words that I might understand
Thank you
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

This means that at the very bottom of the spinal column (L5 is the last lumbar vertebral body), there is a bulging disc (the intervertebral shock absorber) that is leaning toward the right side, where the spinal nerve exits the spine on its way to the leg. Because there is also some degenerative change (arthritis) in the nearby joint, there is narrowing of the space through which the nerve exits. Sometimes this results in pressure on the nerve, with resulting pain and/or weakness, and sometimes it doesn't.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Your doctor, after taking a careful history and doing a thorough neurological exam, should be able to tell you if this finding is related to any symptoms you may be having in your back or leg. If there is any uncertainty about this, you could request nerve conduction tests (NCV/EMG) to see if there is any evidence of nerve damage in the leg, and if so how severe it is.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Does this make sense? Do you have other questions or need further clarification? If so, let me know. I would be happy to help further.