Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am taking brintellix. 10 mg than last week up to 20. I

Customer Question

I am taking brintellix. 10 mg than last week up to 20. I take in the morning. I am very tired and have no energy now. Taking for migraines/anxiety. Will this go away or should I decrease dose. I have two small kids and can't go straight to bed when I get home which I feel like doing
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and then respond. Please review my preliminary response and reply if you like to continue the chat, until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You are just starting this medication, are in the titration phase of increasing the med slowly. It is known that you should not expect any positive effects from this medication, like an improved mood or feeling of well being, for at least 2 and more likely 3 weeks of use. Most common side effects are GI related, nausea, vomiting and hypomania, racing moods, impulsivity and that can occur anytime on this medication. Your symptoms seem to suggest that brintellix has not started to work, rather than it is causing side effects. You should ask you psychiatrist after 3 weeks of use if this continues, he might want to change you to another class of antidepressant like a SNRI (Effexor/venlafaxine) which supplies more energy. This medication is primarily serotonergic, to say that somnolence may also occur early on in the course of trying the medication, but should resolve. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied please rate my answer as that is how I am compensated for this work Dr Frank