Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Severe pain in base of skull radiating up into jaw and down

Customer Question

Severe pain in base of skull radiating up into jaw and down into shoulders at all times. Worse when sitting for a long time. Suffering for about 5 years with the severe pain but started about 2005 and MRI found only disc osteophyte complex between c5-6 but Dr. didn't think that could be causing my pain. Had a corticosteroid injection in 2008 but didn't seem to help much. I have been to EVERY specialist to rule out anything else and I am "the picture of health." Need guidance
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. How can I help? Do you have your most recent Cervical MRI report? Saying you "only" have disc osteophyte complex between C5/6? Did your doctor explain cervical spondylosis (with or without myelopathy), it can be a very disabling condition. Everyone has different pain thresholds, so your pain is real, but may not be substantiated by imaging, nevertheless your symptoms warrant the diagnosis of cervical disc disease/radiculopathy. You could evaluate that further with a Neurologist doing an EMG. Was that done? Send me the report if you have it and I can explain findings or a lack thereof Dr Frank