Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am a 52 yo women 4 years post stroke I am going through

Customer Question

Hello
My name is Liz
I am a 52 yo women
4 years post stroke
I am going through menopause and find that a flush attack hits my brain before my body
I find this very interesting and wonder if it maybe a common occurrence
Do u have any idea why this would be happening? I think it is fascinating to hit my brain first
I do not have any other symptoms except the heat and it makes me nauseas
Sincerely
Liz allvar
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will give an answer to your question. Please review it and reply. We can then review it until you are satisfied.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The whole concept of HRT (hormone replacement therapy)!is based on the brains response to diminishing estrogen that occurs in menopause. Both men and women have estrogen receptors in their brain, women slightly higher numbers than men. The distribution is not uniform with more estrogen receptors in memory areas of the hippocampus and parahippocampal gurus. Studies have shown a dramatic change in functional activity in these areas with changes in brain estrogen areas. The best example is in post parfumerie depression where hippocampal volume drops and depression starts in response to a drop in estrogen with delivery of the baby. But the same thing happens in a sense in menopause

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You can measure these changes with fMRI and PET scanning technology. Current treatment centers on the bio identical preparations of estrogen available. Research looks at medications that alter aromatase activity to control estrogen converting to testosterone in the brain. So you are correct in your feelings. Please get back to me and we can discuss this until satisfied or if content with this answer please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. *****