Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Getting out of bed I felt a sharp twinge in my left p. This

Customer Question

Getting out of bed I felt a sharp twinge in my left hip. This pain persisted for 4 weeks and accompanying it there was and still is after 9 weeks, a burning pain down the side and across the inner thigh of the left leg. The soreness in the hip is much better but the burning is very sore and feels like shingles pain. I guess I have pinched a nerve and am worried it is permanent. What can I do?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are a few home interventions that can be tried. It may help to use an anti-inflammatory medicine, which can help ease welling associated with inflammation, and there are a couple that are available over the counter - ibuprofen and naproxen. It also may help to apply local care of ice and moist heat. Exercises to improve strength and range of motion may also be helpful, and many people find that exercises in a pool are better tolerated because there buoyancy of the water relieves the weight bearing across the hip joint.

If these home interventions are not helpful, then there may be other options that your doctor can consider, so it would be appropriate to be seen at that point.