Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I recently took a bad fall off a roof, broke pelvis and

Customer Question

I recently took a bad fall off a roof, broke pelvis and smaller bones in ankle and foot. Slowly as I healed, burning and tingling set in. Now 2 months later, it's almost disabling. I am in an Aftercare facility that is very slow to treat my condition. Finally on high dose of Gabapentin and just started amitrytiline as they ween me off painkillers. The pain is still very bad. Is Lyrica a good option? I do not have diabetes - thankfully.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello Welcome to JA. I will issue a preliminary answer, please get back to me to discuss this until you are satisfied.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

To answer your question. Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a good option in comparison to Gabapentin (Neurontin). Pregabalin is more efficacious with a lower mg/effective dose. The starting dose is 100-150 mg in divided doses daily, with an effective dose range of 300-450 mg a day. There are patient on 600 mg/day. Gabapentin is a higher dose range, and offers the ability to slowly titrate up to higher drug levels. Therapeutic ranges in my clinic are in the 900 to 1500 mg/day range. I have patients who have slowly gone up to 2400 mg or higher. But for neuropathy (idiopathic) you might prefer Lyrica as it has less side effects at a lower dose. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help and I will reply. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****