Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I was diagnose with DVT behind my left knee after a severe

Customer Question

I was diagnose with DVT behind my left knee after a severe injury to my left ankle. I have been taking Eliquis per my Md's advise for 3 month. For the past week or so the top of my right foot has been swollen and tender to the touch. It subsides in the morning if I rub some Asperteme on it and elevate it when I go to bed.
Any suggestions? I would really not want to go to an Emergency Room for the usual reasons. My doctor is somewhat booked up and I have a busy travel schedule.
Steve
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve. Peripheral edema is one possible side effect of the Eliquis. However, there is a whole list of other possibilities ranging from the innocuous such as venous insufficiency to the very serious such as heart or kidney failure. I would suggest you have the limb examined while there is swelling and tenderness and have a doctor provide you with a diagnosis so you can formulate an appropriate plan for dealing with it.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve. Let me know if you have any additional questions.