Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My husband is in a wheelchair middle of s leg down to the

Customer Question

my husband is in a wheelchair middle of his leg down to the ankle is red and warm to the touch I think he hit it on something because it's swollen in the middle and has two scapes, I don't know what happen for sure but I think he hit going into the table when we had dinner somewhere
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The concern is cellulitis. An infection that has gotten under the skin and needs debridement (scrubbing the areas of scrape) and then antibiotic treatment. Sounds like he needs to go to a clinic or ER if he has a temperature as you cannot let this get out of control. Please get back to me with questions if I can help, or rate my service if satisfied with this answer by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

lternatively, it the area being described in in the posterior calf, and you feel a hard "cord" or string down the leg under the skin, you have to be concerned that inactivity has caused him to form a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). I would think he was on aspirin therapy if in a wheelchair permanently (?) which would prevent that formation, or that there would not be scrapes. My sense is that this in on his shin, on the anterior calf, and that is the setting for cellulitis/osteomyelitis (bone infection) that can come from this type of incidental trauma. Please get back to me to discuss if I can help Dr Frank