Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I keep having these strange electric like shocks on the

Customer Question

I keep having these strange electric like shocks on the right back of my head. I am not on any medications. They have been going on for the last two days, about 5 times a day.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Your symptoms sound like ice pick headaches or symptoms referable to tension headaches where the muscles (in your case, occipitalis and the cervical paraspinal muscles that insert into the back of your skull) are in spasm and crimping the nerve fibers of the scalp. That causes "lightning" like sharp pains or as described, like getting stabbed with an ice pick pain on your regional scalp. I will find a webpage to explain this issue more in depth, and we can discuss treatment. dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

http://headaches.about.com/lw/Health-Medicine/Conditions-and-diseases/

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Indomethacin (Indocin) is the standard medication for treatment of this problem. It works differently than most migraine or NSAID medications to effect scalp inflammation. It is useful in cluster headache as well. the starting dose is 25 mg up to 3 times a day. It can cause stomach irritation and kidney problems at higher doses for prolonged periods, so the plan is to use this only for the time necessary, until the stabbing pains are gone. Please get back to me to discuss this further, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Get back to me with questions if I can help. Dr Frank