Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Over the past year, I have been having issues with my hands

Customer Question

Over the past year, I have been having issues with my hands having a numb/tingling sensation, 99% of the time when I am in bed and lifting them up.. for example.. if I am lying down in bed and have my hands raised, grabbing my cell phone, all of a sudden both of my hands experience numb/tingling sensations..
Recently, I started being waken up almost every night, with the feeling of a numb/tingling hand.. left and right.. I can shake it off and it generally goes away in a matter of seconds..
This was happening constantly for a few days every night, although it has not
happened to me in the past few nights..
Also, both of my legs have a tingling sensation as well.. Basically, my hands and
legs are all experiencing this sensation..
I was researching neuropathy on the Internet and came across Multiple sclerosis and became freaked out immediately.
I did read that with MS, usually numbness occurs in the arms or legs or one side of the body or the bottom half only. I am experiencing the entire body symptoms all at once.
As well, I only feel the symptoms really in my hand when I am lying down on my
bed and I raise them up, holding my cell phone in the same position for a few minutes for example..
Once I remove my hand from this position, the tingling goes away.. From what I have read, with MS, the feeling would not come and go so easily like this..
Should I be concerned? I know I should see a doctor and get this checked.. and will try to make an appointment this week.. but I would really like the advice of a specialized Neurologist.. and I know this appointment will take much longer for me to see them..
So thus I am here asking.. With these symptoms, what are the odds this could be MS, vs something else such as Carpal Tunnel or peripheral neuropathy?
What really concerns me as well, is I am having some of the other symptoms of MS, such as fatigue and I wake up in the morning dizzy. It’s very hard for me to start my day and get out of bed..
On the checklist of MS symptoms, I do have dizziness when I wake up in the morning, some sexual problems (albeit this could be depression/propecia/age/etc..), feeling weak and tired, depression.
I do not have eye issues, sensitivity to heat, pain that runs down the spine, bowel or bladder problems, problems with balance and coordination though..
I am a 35 year old male living in the Northwest. (Originally from Southern California and left at 25 to the Northwest) I I know RMMS can strike women more than twice as much as men and location seems to make a difference.. so I’m really hoping the odds are in my favor..
Please let me know what you think.. Thank you so much.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the odds do you think I have MS?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thing that may assist.. I was in the dental office a few months ago and the chair was leaned back at a negative 15 degree angle.. (where my feet were in the air) My hands became numb in the same way they become numb when I am laying down and I raise them up to use my cell phone.. (while in this angle my hands were raised of course.)As said, I do experience the numbness in all four of my limbs.. from what I have read about MS, for this to happen all at once, within a matter of a few months, is rather rare.. as all four of the areas of the nervous system would all have to be attacked.. and most likely since it is 'only' in my legs' and 'arms' (limbs) and not anywhere else on my body.. I'm hoping it's not meaning it's infected a huge part of my body.. otherwise I would think other parts I would feel as well? Like my back, stomach, etc.. other areas that would be infected.. not just my limbs.. Appreciate the assistance. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How long has this been going on?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Rick,This has been going on for about a year or so. Something that may cause it, is I do take Truvada for HIV prevention, which I did read can cause peripheral neuropathy.I unfortunately do not have an exact date for either.. but the Truvada is within a year and these symptoms as well within a year.. I as well take Wellbutrin,once in a while Klonopin, and a large number of over the counter supplements. I stopped taking it a few days ago, to see if this helps with the issue. Although, I read I may have to wait awhile to see if this rectifies the problem.I do have a mild case of Tourette Syndrome, inherited from my father.. he is 76 and has in recent year notified me that he has been affected by some peripheral neuropathy in the legs, although he rectified his diet and does not have these issues any longer.Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From reading this on Carpal Tunnel.. this sounds exactly like what I've been encountering. In terms of my legs.. I am not sure if it is just my heightened awareness since this started happening.. but they aren't really an issue.. I feel a tingling sensation, but as said, this may just be hyper-awareness.. this is mainly affecting my arms..How can I distinguish if this is MS or Carpal Tunnel or another form of Neuropathy? I'm just hoping that since this comes and goes (as soon as I move my hand from the heightened area) and affects both arms at once, that this is only potentially Carpal Tunnel.http://athensorthopedicclinic.com/hand-numbness-and-tingling-by-david-katz-md/
Hand Numbness and Tingling, by David Katz, MDDo your hands ever go numb and tingly? Do you wake up at night with a “dead” hand and have to shake it out to get it to “wake up?” Do your hands fall asleep while driving a car or holding a cell phone? If so, then you may have increased pressure on a nerve in your palm – a condition called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Carpel tunnel does not affect areas other than the hands.

How to tell what is causing this?

Unfortunately, the only way to get to the bottom of what is going on is to see a physician, possibly a neurologist, for a full exam, possibly imaging studies and specialized testing such a nerve conduction and/or nerve biopsy.

I wish that there was an easier way to get the answers you need but, unfortunately that is not the case.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS