Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I'm one of those unlucky ones with on going pain from

Customer Question

I'm one of those unlucky ones with on going pain from shingles in the torso area. (7 months). Would this cause pain in my stomach?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The herpes zoster virus VZV which causes the rash is a virus that stays in the nerves which course superficially under the skin. It usually stays to one side. And one or two dermatomes, the area of one or two spinal nerves. It does not effect internal organs as that is a different type of nerve pathway. So no, do not expect GERD or classic stomach pain from the virus that causes shingles. Alternatively your gastric acid secretion can go up with chronic pain. Or medications can be implicated especially NSAID type such as ibuprofen.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me to discuss further and I will reply. If satisfied please remember to rate my answer as that is how I am compensated for my work. Click on the stars. Dr Frank