Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My 85 year old husband, an attorney, is suffering memory

Customer Question

My 85 year old husband, an attorney, is suffering memory loss and confusion. In 2013, his memory loss alarmed us so that we went to Jefferson Hospital on numerous occasions where he had a series of MRI's that didn't show any danger, such as a tumor etc. The last time we went, we were so alarmed that we requested that his primary care doctor admit him to run a battery of tests. He became very upset one night, and when I arrived at the hospital he was in a coma. We transfered him to Penn where he slowly recovered and came home. I believe the coma itself was approximately 5 days. All of 2014 he was fine and seemed back to his old self. The coma eposide was explained to us as "his medications do not mess properly". Obviously, no one had an answer.
Now in 2015 he began experienced the same confusion, memory loss and depression again. We went through various tests at Penn including an MRI, ultra-sound of the carotic arties, eeg, blood work etc. We are told that there is no serious problem, that it is related to age related decline. We are so uncomfortable with this diagnosis. It continues to esculate and we are at a loss as to how to proceed. I can furnish you with a list of his medications if you so desire. We are much upset because of how his daily quality is affected and we are worried about another coma situation. He is left with very little stamina and ability to act effectively and to do the things he would like to do.
Please help us.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the detailed description of his condition, it was very helpful. I would like more specific description of the "coma" situation. Also send a list of his medications. If you have any impressions on the neuropsycho metric please that as well, leaving out his name or any identifying information.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you wish to get an answer on MCI vs. other causes of forgetfulness, I can discuss this with you. Please ask a question and I can reply. Dr Frank