Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have done total right knee arthroplasty one year 10 months

Customer Question

Hi, I have done total right knee arthroplasty one year 10 months back, but the right knee in appearance is much bigger than the left knee. Is this normal for one knee to be bigger than the left knee?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Was the right knee bigger than the left immediately after surgery, or has it enlarged over time to become bigger in appearance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The right knee was bigger than the left knee all throughout, immdtly after surgery until today so when one looks at both knees one looks far bigger than the left knee
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

The size of the knee is due to several factors, including the size of the prosthetic joint, the amount of soft tissue surrounding and supporting the knee, and any fluid that might be in the joint, the bursae, or the soft tissues. Normally, our joints aren't completely symmetrical or the same size, even though they typically appear to be about equal. That said, your right knee may have been slightly larger than the left even before the surgery. If noticeably larger now this could be because the left knee got smaller (e.g. atrophy) or the right knee is larger due to the new joint material or fluid. Extra fluid might indicate ongoing inflammation in the joint (e.g. an effusion) or fluid outside the joint (e.g. bursitis) or below the skin. I would suggest you get an MRI for further details and follow up with an orthopedist or sports medicine doctor. If there is excess fluid present it can often be aspirated (removed with a needle).

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi There. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

If not, don't forget to accept my answer.

Thank you.