Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am having a lot of pain deep in my left buttock/p. It is

Customer Question

I am having a lot of pain deep in my left buttock/hip. It is especially bad whenever I try to bend over. The pain is radiating down my leg. Walking is okay, but sitting down hurts.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. It sounds like you have sciatica, an irritation of the sciatic nerve as it passes deep in the buttocks through the sciatic notch down the back of your thigh to the sole of your foot Do you have pain shooting down your leg? There is a variant called piriformis syndrome, where a muscle, piriformis, which crosses the nerve causes the irritation. When you lean forward (flex at the hip like trying to touch your toes), you stretch the hamstring muscles on the back of your thigh, and the gluteus muscles (your buttocks) and pull on the nerve passing through the groove. Let me know if that description fits, then we can talk about the way to fix the problem. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I hope I was able to send you useful information. Please remember to rate my service if satisfied by clicking on the stars. If you need more information about sciatica, just ask and I will return to answer your question. Dr Frank