Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have a question regarding potential brain damage from

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question regarding potential brain damage from sleep deprivation. I had a period of about 6 months where I was not sleeping well (4 - 6 hours per night). It's been about 4 weeks since I've since remedied the sleep issues, but have noticed cognitive issues since (brain fog, slow thinking, difficulty solving problems, etc). I have noticed it is less noticeable when I sleep well and more noticeable when I don't. I'm concerned as I have not felt normal since I started sleeping normally. My questions specifically:
1. Is it possible I've caused permanent damage and will not return to normal brain functioning?
2. Can the brain heal or repair itself from a period of sleep deprivation that I described?
Thanks.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I have answered your questions one be one below;

No, sleep deprivation is not expected to cause permanent brain damage, even if it is of prolonged in duration. There is no evidence to show that sleep deprivation can cause a permanent damage to the brain.

Whatever brain damage may have been occurred by sleep deprivation is supposed to be reversible in nature. The brain will heal by itself although this can take long time. But full recovery is expected since sleep deprivation is not known to cause permanent brain damage. During the recovery stage you may try to obtain as much sleep as possible which will also help the repair process. Also you may try nutritional supplements like ALA (Alpha lipoic acid), Acetyl Carnitine and multivitamin preparations etc which can also help in rapid recovery from this type of reversible damage.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor