Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have uncontrollable body movement after a month ago I had

Customer Question

I have uncontrollable body movement after a month ago I had a near drowning accident I was traped under a jet ski at a lake for 3 min all my test came out ok. I went to a neurologist in Santa Barbara but she said she does not specialized in uncontrollable body movement. The movement are on the right side of my body head, shoulders, hips it comes and goes even in my sleep.what is it? Where can I go to get help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. The most common type of uncontrolled movement of one side of the body after a survivable hypoxic (near drowning) injury is called hemiballismus. It comes from ischemic involvement of the subthalamic nucleus. This is an uncontrolled thrashing type of movement, it is spontaneous and can be synchronous with face, arm and leg all at the same time.. Have you videotaped the movement? As you are in Santa Barbara, I would recommend a visit to UCLA-Neurology as they have a very good neurology dept. The test you need is a nuclear medicine test called PEG, using 18F-L Dopa and/18F-FDG. This could identify the problem in your brain leading to these movements, and maybe you would respond to a deep brain stimulation therapy, or TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation). Please get back to me with questions, or rate my service if satisfied with this answer by clicking on the rating stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I made a type, the imaging study is called PET, for positron emission tomography. Please get back to me if you have questions, if you can describe the movement a little it would help, this could be a focal dystonia, etc Dr Frank