How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 8999
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 68 year old woman and have had difficulty with my

Customer Question

I am a 68 year old woman and have had difficulty with my memory for quite a few years. When I would be reminded by someone,I would remember. For the most part, over the past 2 years, when someone reminds me of something I cannot recall the information. I am concerned I my be entering Alzheimer. This does not run in my family. The majorly of my family died while in their 60's. Are there tests I can take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your question and return with a reply. You can then ask further questions to clarify until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes. to answer your question, there are a variety of tests you take to diagnose Alzheimer's disease, and to separate it from other causes of dementia or memory loss. There are a number of other diseases that can mimic Alzheimers disease, some are very treatable, so you want to find out the exact cause for your memory loss. The first way is to see a Neurologist that specializes in Behavioral Neurology or Dementia. He will examine you and give you some simple memory tests, called the MMSE or mini mental status examination, to see how you do generally. He may then send you to another doctor, a neuropsychologist, for more formal cognitive testing, to see exactly what type of memory problems you are having, and if there is cognitive type treatment to restore some of this problem. Then he will do blood testing and two tests, an MRI test of the brain and an EEG to further exclude other diseases like tumors or strokes. Finally, there are two new tests to determine if this is Alzheimers as opposed to other kinds of dementia. There is a PET test (nuclear medicine test) that sees if you are depositing a certain type of protein in your brain that is seen in patients with alzheimers. And there is a CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) test that can find this protein. There is also a new blood test to determine if you have that protein to make you at risk for alzheimers.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So the answer is you really need to see a Neurologist and he can give you an answer as to if you have Alzheimers or another form of dementia. There are also medications that are effective in making Alzheimers patient more effective with their memory. It does not cure the disease, but slows the progression and makes you more social, more effective in memory. I can discuss those medications if you are interested, just let me know

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. Please get back to me if you have further questions and I will return to answer them. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Just click on the rating stars. thank you *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nancy. I see you reviewed the answer, please get back to me by asking questions if I can help. Dr Frank

Related Neurology Questions