Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I am a 50 year old previously healthy male. About six weeks

Customer Question

Hello... I am a 50 year old previously healthy male. About six weeks ago I woke up with my feet tingling and and some pain in my toes. I didn't think much of it for a few days but it persisted. It got to the point where after walking the front of both feet would burn. I feel a slight numb feeling from the ball of my foot to my big toe. The only time I get any relief is when I come home from work and take off my shoes and socks and the pain subsides. I can walk in my bare feet without any pain, just some slight numbness. I went to the neurologist and he gave me some physical tests in his office and then I had an MRI of the spine. All normal he said. All blood test were normal also. He sent me for an Nerve conductive test and an EMG. He called me and said everything is normal and he can't find anything wrong with me. It's not getting any better. I wake up and its the same everyday. As soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning I feel the pins and needles and slight numbness and I know it is still there. And then as the day progresses the burning starts and doesn't stop till I get home and take off my shoes and socks. Where do I go from here?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to consult with another neurologist

and get brain MRI scans with contrast and also total spine MRI scans with contrast.

you might need a spinal tap to rule out MS and other conditions.

you might need neuropathy medications like neurontin or lyrica.

you should be checked for diabetes which can cause nerve damage.

it doesn't sound like you have had an MRI scan of your brain yet.