Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I went to an orthopedic doctor the other day issues

Customer Question

I went to an orthopedic doctor the other day for knee issues (popping, aching, locking etc.) No lig/ tendon damage but eroded cartilage (I'm 27). He said the problem is that my hamstrings are way too tight (I am an athlete, soldier just never been able to touch my toes). This is causing the patella to ride on the femur and the pain. He said to take a month off training hamstrings (I workout daily I don't like that), and stretch the heck out of it until I can touch my toes and such. He said I should still train quads as this will help proper knee tracking. I can only think of one lift that ONLY works the quads and not the hams though and that's leg extensions. He said no squats, lunges, deadlift, etc. Obviously all of these engage the hams on the downward motion for stability. Is there any other lifts I can do? Could I do deadlift if I drop the bar from the top position instead of lower it?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Did the MD give you any information on what exercises work best?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I tried responding on my phone but the site wasn't working with me. He didn't give me much to go on, just said he is sure I can figure out the stretches and ruled out squats, lunges, deadlift, so on. He said leg extensions were fine but I would like more that that, I have a 12 set minimum on muscle groups and don't think 12 sets of extensions would be a good idea. My understanding is that any lift where I am lowering a weight back down would engage the hamstrings. Correct me if I'm wrong but the hamstrings don't engage on the upward when straightening the leg, so could I do deadlifts if I drop the bar from the top, and maybe squats and lunges if I have a partner take the weight from me at the top and give it back at the bottom of the lift, or would holding the weight in that position constitute training the hams?

I have no other pertinent medical problems.

I don't take any prescription meds but I take a lot of supplements: 100ish grams of protein from powder (body weight 150), NO3 preworkout, multivitamins, hydroxycut, glucosamine, and I started on a test booster this past Sunday.

Don't feel bad....my entire reply was just eaten by the Gremlins in the Machine. Let me retype it :(

Thanks for that additional information.

No. I think your hamstrings would be fine. However, it might be helpful for you to find a knowledgeable lady in the gym to watch you, give you a hand, and make sure you are doing thing correctly.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS