Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Had a brain aneurism in the cerebellum 1998 and had to be

Customer Question

Had a brain aneurism in the cerebellum 1998 and had to be operated on. Had numbness in left side after surgery and about three ago I starting sweating on the left side bad. What can I do to stop the sweating.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Excessive sweating is called "hyperhidrosis." While there are several possible causes including stress, infections, certain metabolic disorders, certain medications, etc, in your case if may be related to dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system as a result of your aneurysm and surgery. A neurologist could help to confirm the diagnosis and get you on a treatment plan.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Generalized hyperhidrosis can be more difficult to treat than localized hyperhidrosis (e.g. sweaty palms).

That said, there are a variety of treatment options. For example, there are ointments or salves that can "dry up" sweat glands and reduce hyperhidrosis. Similarly, some antiperspirants, both prescription (such as Drysol) and non-prescriptioncan decrease sweating.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

One medical treatment option for hyperhidrosis is iontophoresis, which requires affected areas to be placed into a layer of water that an electrical current is passed through. A medical device sends a low-voltage current through the water, "stunning" the sweat glands and decreasing the secretion of sweat for period of six hours to one week. This approach is most effective if it is completed every other day for about six to ten treatments. After completing a series of treatments, up to 80 percent of patients may stop sweating.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Another medical option is the injection of Botulinum Toxin A (Botox) into the affected areas. This toxin affects the nerve endings and decreases the transmission of the nerve impulses to the sweat glands, decreasing sweating. Several injections of Botox are required for the best possible results, and can relieve symptoms for as long as 12 months.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Does all this make sense? Do you have any follow up questions?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

If not, don't forget to accept my answer so I get paid for my time assisting you.

Thank you.