Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just got angiogram head w/o contrast impression that says

Customer Question

Hi. I just got angiogram head w/o contrast impression that says "focal tortuosity versus a 2 to 3 mm medial extending aneurysm of the A2 segment of the left anterior artery. What does this mean?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

A tortuous artery is one that has frequent twists and turns in a short period of time. An aneurysm is a dilated segment of the artery that also has a weakened wall as it gets larger, so is at risk for bleeding. The A2 segment refers to a specific anatomic section of the anterior cerebral artery at the base of the front of the brain. The two anterior cerebral arteries communicate with each other shortly after forming, and the A2 segment is the first segment after this communication.

This test was not able to tell whether this is a tortuous artery or an aneurysm. A tortuous artery is not really a concern whereas an aneurysm can be serious, particularly as it gets larger. The doctor may discuss this with the Radiologist to see if the Radiologist is leaning strongly towards one of the two possible causes. But if the two diagnoses cannot be differentiated, then it may be necessary to perform a better quality angiogram, which will likely involve contrast.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.