Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have been diagnosed with tendnosis in the right hand. When

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with tendnosis in the right hand. When I opened the dish washer Friday night I heard and felt something pop in hand. I have bruising at bottom of thumb and wrist. My fingers all the way to ball of arm tingles. At the bend of elbow there feels like something faintly crawling in it. Hand is swollen and knot in top of arm.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. From your description only ( unfortunately cannot examine you) it sounds like the "pop" could have been a rupture of a tendon that is encased in a sheath which inserts into the base of your thumb. Hence the bruising at the wrist the ball of muscle at the mid forearm and the strange sensation at the elbow crease. This could be pronator teres. Or flexor pollicis or even abductor pollicis muscles. You need an orthopedic examination and maybe surgery to repair the damage. Please get back to me if I can help further or rate my service if satisfied by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Let me know. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone said when tendon is ruptured you can't use hand or lift arm. Is that correct. I can still move everything but it hurts. Just have bruising tingling and very sore.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

It becomes difficult to tell because muscles in the forearm share the function of movement. So for you, flexion at the wrist or bringing your clenched fist up as part of curling a dumbbell, Is it as strong on the effected side? Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's really painful moving the thumb side to side. When I make a fist it hurts and can't grasp as good.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Thanks for that pic. So it is not the flexors of your forearm but the adductor of your thumb. Looks like that one bruise down by your wrist is in the anatomical "snuff box" and I suspect you have dequervains tenosynovitis. But it ruptured? Let me find you a webpage. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

When looking at that pic and the bruise over your wrist. The tendon that forms the lower border hurts. Right?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service when satisfied as that is how I am compensated for my work. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Quervain_syndrome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drive a school bus for the last 23 years and have to manually open and close the door with the right hand. My arthritis Doctor told me a couple weeks ago that I have Tendinosis. When this happened to me Friday. I went to see my regular dr today and he said with out MRI he things ruptured tendon. I'm to have MRI in a couple of days and have appointment with ortho dr Monday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure where the tendons are but it hurts at the snuffbox as you called it and in Palm Where it connects to wrist is badly bruised and swollen also have bruise in the "muscle" area of top of arm.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

That bruise at the muscle area on the arm is the muscle that has retracted, I do think you will need surgery to fix that ruptured tendon, and then probably a soft cast for a few weeks. I think you are going to have to take some time off driving the school bus.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to answer all of your questions. Please get back to me if I can help further. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this answer as that is how I am compensated for working for you Thank you *****