Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have trouble balancing my add with anxiety.

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. Let me review your statement and I will be back with an answer.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

From what you have written, you are on 3 ADHD medications, Ritalin (methylphenidate) Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts) and Vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine, a single enantiomer of amphetamine). Then you are trying to deal with anxiety using a long acting benzodiazepine, Xanax (alprazolam). If you want my opinion, I would say all of this is wrong. You cannot mix benzodiazepines with stimulant medications, this has been known for 40 to 50 years, there is nothing new here. I could go and tell you about the receptor problems associated with this plan, but it is really just bad neuropsychopharmacology. The suggestion is to cut back on your stimulants and wean yourself from the benzodiazepine. I know that is easier said than done, but it is still the only real approach to making you feel better. After you were off the benzodiazepine and tapered onto ONE stimulant medication, you could then use an atypical antipsychotic in low dose at night to "take the edge off your anxiety" like Seroquel, or Abilify. I don't know your situation, and I can only make general statements, but on paper here you are overmedicated. Please get back to me with questions and I will be glad to discuss this with you. Dr Frank