Internist
Internist, Doctor
Experience:  MD,MBBS, Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I have had an involuntary jerk in my left leg 10 years. Over

Customer Question

I have had an involuntary jerk in my left leg for approximately 10 years. Over the past year my balance has gotten poor and I have fallen several times. Recently I have begun experiencing what I can only describe as freezing get episodes when I walk. It's as though my left leg forgets it's supposed to move so I can walk. It lasts only seconds, but seems much longer. I have experienced tingling, numbness and weakness in my left arm since the age of 19 (I am now 46). I have been to 29 doctors (to include several psychiatrists) and the only diagnosis I have ever gotten is depression. I have been on one antidepressant after another and none of my symptoms has improved. I am currently taking Cymbalta and it does wonders for my depression, but still no change in any of my physical symptoms. Could this be Munchausen or just hypochondria?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MS, Parkinsons, and ALS have all been ruled out. I do have trigeminal neuralgia and Duanes Syndrome
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I am online and will be happy to answer your questions.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Thank you for your patience.

Do you have diabetes / high blood pressure or high cholesterol problem?

what does your primary diet consist of? do you eat meat/ balanced diet?

have you been tested for nerve conduction studies?

please reply so i can help. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have high blood pressure and take Lorsatan. I have a family history if diabetes and high cholesterol, but I have neither. I don't eat fast food and absolutely nothing fried. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, meat. I've had MRI's, MRA's, spinal taps, EEG's, EKG's, nerve conduction studies, poked with a safety pin, you name it I've had it done. I've been to the top opthomologist at the University of Florida. He told me don't bother coming back because there is nothing wrong with me. The orthopedic surgeon I was sent to told me the only thing wrong with me was I needed to lose weight. After losing more than 40 pounds still no improvemention in my symptoms
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for replying.

All of those tests were normal?

what are your impression about your symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every test was either completely normal or negative. I'm to the point where I honestly think I'm either imaging all of this or I am subconsciously doing this to myself. I've also been to a chiropractor and two massage therapists. No difference in symptoms.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

I understand the frustration you must be undergoing through.

Good news is that you do not have any serious disease as all of those tests cannot be falsely normal.

So, yes it is most likely stress related, can be categorized as hypochondriasis , or Munchausen but your insight into symptoms seem intact and I would not label it with any psychiatric disorder.

I recommend just adopting a healthy life style and more importantly , keep a regular appointment with psychiatrist ( please do not take me wrong here, this is not psychotic, but you need behavioral therapy and relaxation exercise to help deal with your symptoms as no organic cause has been found in spite of a lot of investigations.

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

I am here to help you and i wish you best health.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

This is the link to my profile:

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

hi again,

you probably forgot to accept my answer.

kindly click on accept so i can get credit of answer, thanks

please feel free to ask any question.s