Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

We have a 3 month old baby who is not physically able to

Customer Question

We have a 3 month old baby who is not physically able to sleep more than 20-30 minutes at a time. One day recently, slept only 35 minutes from 8am to midnight. She is exhausted and when she does sleep, she moves and kicks constantly. She is being treated for severe reflux with prevacid and a milk protein allergy - drinks Elacare (non milk-based formula). The baby's parents are both medical professionals (father is anesthesiologist/mother is pediatric physician assistant). The child has never been able to sleep since birth. The mother thinks it's something neurological. We are worried sick. I am the grandmother of the baby. Please help me.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just what I already mentioned. Healthy, gaining weight. Just CANNOT physically sleep. She should be sleeping 16 hours out of 24 and is no where near.

Clearly the prevacid isn't working

have they tried zantac?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zantac did nothing to help the reflux. The prevacid does seem to be helping. The child has been physically unable to sleep since birth. I've never seen anything like it. I need to know if there could be a neurological problem that could keep an infant from sleeping. She sleeps for 20 minutes and wakes violently, with arms flailing and is constantly moving arms and legs WHILE she is asleep. We have tried swaddling, unswaddled, it does not matter. She CAN NOT stay asleep. It's scary.

was the child premature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
born at 37 weeks, 6 pounds 11 ounces

has prevacid twice a day been tried?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
currently given and seems to be working. The issue is not the reflux - that is under control. The issue is not being able to sleep for longer than 30 minutes around the clock, and if there could be a neurological issue with a sleep disorder for a 3 month old.

I highly doubt it. The child is somewhat premature and these babies often have hyperactive immune systems

have they tried putting the child to sleep in a bouncy chair half sitting up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried everything under the sun, more than once. Nothing can make this child sleep longer than 30 minutes at a time. Even riding her in a car. Falls asleep, but wakes up started after 30 minutes.

I really don't think there is anything wrong neurologically

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.

If you have more questions, just reply